Veritas has updated NetBackup and combined it with InfoScale disaster recovery software and Information Studio data space reporting into the Enterprise Data Services Platform.
It said the aim is to make data management simpler by bundling enterprise protection, availability and insights into a single entity.
The small and medium enterprise Backup Exec product is not included.
NetBackup v8.2 supports more than 500 data sources and 150-plus storage targets, including 60 cloud providers, and now gets:
Virtual infrastructure protection
- Agentless architecture for VMware
- Support for RedHat Virtualization and OpenStack
- Docker Certified backup and recovery offering for containers
Boosted public cloud support
- 2X faster backups to the cloud
- Support for Amazon Web Services (AWS) Snowball Edge, AWS access controls, AWS Glacier and Glacier Deep Archive, and Veritas Cloud Catalyst on AWS
- Automated disaster recovery to and in the cloud
- Cloud-native data protection with application consistency for Oracle, Microsoft SQL, and MongoDB
API, snapshots and self-service
- API approach to enable app-integrated and automated data protection
- Backup, orchestration, cataloging and replication with native snapshot technologies
- Self-service with ServiceNow and VMware vRealize plugins
The Docker Certified backup and recovery offering for containers is claimed to be the first in the industry.
InfoScale provide enterprise IT service continuity with resiliency and software-defined storage for services in a data centre infrastructure with four individual products;
- Foundation – app-aware storage management,
- Availability – high availability and disaster recovery,
- Storage – storage management across heterogeneous server and storage environments,
- Enterprise – combination of storage management and application availability.
There’s an overview here and InfoScale now has:
- Ability to cluster AWS Availability Zones for migrated, mission-critical applications
- Support for Chef and Ansible platforms
- IPv6 support
- Support for for Nutanix, Dell EMC ScaleIO, and NVM Express
- Security enhancements
This product classifies content, such as files containing personally identifiable information (PII), and provides capacity take-up and projects storage capacity trends. Analytic reports describe global, regional, data centre, and server level overviews of storage capacity trends.
The software includes APTARE, integrated with Veritas in March 2019, analytics for unified backup reporting and storage data across on-premises and hybrid-cloud environments. It supports hybrid cloud storage and backup systems and technologies such as OpenStack, software-defined storage and flash arrays.
The latest version gets:
- Connectors to 20+ cloud and on-premises data repositories including NetBackup,
- Visual rendering of metadata to identify what exists, where it exists, and who has access – Information Map data visibility functionality,
- Classification of data to identify personally identifiable information (PII),
- Deletion to reclaim storage resources, lower costs, and reduce risks,
Blocks & Files asked Veritas about availability
B&F: Is the Veritas Enterprise Data Services platform available as a single orderable offering?
Veritas: No. The platform is not available as a single orderable offering for purchase, but it is available as separate components under the three pillars of Availability, Protection and Insights.
B&F: When will the Veritas Enterprise Data Services platform be available, either as a single offering, or as separate components?
Veritas: “The Enterprise Data Services platform is already available as separate components under Availability, Protection and Insights.
B&F: Does the Veritas Enterprise Data Services platform have a single management layer or are the three component products separately managed with their own management interfaces?
Veritas: The Enterprise Data Services platform does not have a single management layer. However, the components share a common metadata catalogue and common UX design language so can be managed at an individual level with connectivity into other components. As an example, InfoStudio and APTARE can access the NetBackup catalogue to provide rich data and IT insights/analytics.