CTERA Networks, the Edge and cloud file services specialist, has added a cloud storage gateway product to its lineup that builds upon HPE’s SimpliVity systems. It claims this is the first hyperconverged solution to offer multi-cloud data management capabilities.
Available immediately, the CTERA Edge X Series integrates HPE’s SimpliVity with CTERA’s global file system to provide all-in-one edge storage and compute capabilities with triple redundancy and multi-site collaboration.
CTERA’s earlier hardware was able to replace file servers, tape backup and other systems with a single, cloud-integrated platform that can offload non-critical files and backups to the cloud. The new flagship model effectively runs CTERA’s platform atop a cluster of HPE SimpliVity nodes, which should offer greater resiliency, among other things.
HPE acquired SimpliVity two years ago for its hyperconverged software platform and now offers it ready integrated on HPE servers such as the ProLiant DL380 seen in the image above.
The new Edge X Series is aimed primarily at large organisations, while the existing C Series and H Series target small and medium businesses, respectively.
The great migration
In a statement, CTERA’s Chief Strategy Officer Oded Nagel said the firm sees a major market shift towards convergence of infrastructure at the enterprise edge, while on the other hand the continuous migration of workloads and data to the cloud.
Highlights of the CTERA Edge X Series include:
- Global file system with cross-site file sharing and data protection and seamless multi-cloud tiering, supporting all major public and private clouds
- Managed VMware hypervisor for running multiple tier-1 applications
- Elastic scaling: frequently accessed data is stored on high-performance local flash drives, while infrequently accessed data is automatically migrated to ‘cheap and deep’ cloud storage
- All-flash system with up to 23TB of raw local storage, 192GB memory and 10Gb/s Ethernet
- FIPS-certified cryptography with full control over key management and data residency
- Global 24×7 support with onsite service and four-hour response time
CTERA Edge X Series filers are delivered in a 2-node cluster configuration, with options for 9 or 12 SSD drives per node. Pricing starts at $100,000.