You would think IBM was a storage chemist; there are that many IBM Storage Solutions floating around. And now we have three more with another four point storage product announcements as well in a Herzog blog blast.
IBM Storage Solutions are blueprinted bundles of product which are pre-tested and validated for specific application areas.
Eric Herzog is IBM’s Storage Division CMO and its VP for world-wide channels. His latest blog says;
- IBM Storage Solution for Blockchain runs on either NVMe FlashSystem 9100 infrastructure or LinuxONE Rockhopper II. It includes Spectrum Virtualise, Spectrum Copy Data Management, and Spectrum Protect Plus. IBM claims it increases blockchain security with 100 per cent application and data encryption support and reduces test, development and deployment time for both on/off-chain solutions. Get this; Big Blue also claims it improves time to new profits from days to hours.
- Perhaps you could suggest to IBM that you pay for it by giving IBM a percentage of these new profits? That would lower your CAPEX and OPEX needs.
- IBM Storage Solution for Analytics is based on IBM Cloud Private for Data, which is supported on the NVMe-based FlashSystem 9100. It is said to accelerate data collection, orchestration and analytics, and simplify Docker and Kubernetes container utilisation for analytics apps.
- IBM Storage Solution for IBM Cloud Private, with IBM Cloud Private being a Kubernetes-based platform for running container workloads on premises. This has Spectrum Scale parallel access file storage added to the existing block and object storage.
- FlashSystem A9000 gets AI added to its deduplication capability to help work out where best to place data for maximal deduplication. It analyses metadata in real time to produce deduplication and capacity estimates without, IBM claims, any performance impact.
- IBM Cloud Object Storage gets added NFS and SMB file access to its object storage.
- IBM Spectrum Protect gets retention sets to simplify data management and reduce data ingest amounts.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus has added data offload to public cloud services; IBM COS, AWS. Azure, IBM COS on-premises and Spectrum Protect. This is for data archiving and/or disaster recovery. Spectrum Protect Plus has enlarged its protection capabilities to include the MongoD (NoSQL database) and Microsoft Exchange Server.
Here we have a worthy set of seven incremental software announcements to broaden and extend the appeal of existing products.